Route of Churches

In this route you will find the following churches and chapels:
Basilica of la Purísima
Boy Jesus parish church (“Iglesia del Niño”)
Santa Bárbara chapel
San Juan parish church
San Roque church
San Francisco church
The Angustias chapel
Church-convent of Concepcionist nuns
Los Desamparados Church and Nursing home


Basilica of la Purísima
The first stone of the building was laid 22 October 1775, being the construction started according to the project by José Lopez. In 1777 Mateo Volarín and José Alcami were put in charge of the technical management. In 1793 the works were paralysed. In 1859 the construction was restarted again according to the project by the architect Jerónimo Ros, being the works completed on 30th November 1868. The church has a basilica ground plan with three naves and a large transept. It has a Latin-cross ground plan. The ornamentation of the vaults in the central nave and the transept have frescos representing Marian scenes, which were carried out in the middle of the 20th century by the painter from Lorca Manuel Muñoz Barberán.

basilica_purisima_yecla1

Boy Jesus parish church
The building was built between 1880 and 1888 according to the project by the architect Justo Millán Espinosa. Before the current church, there was a small chapel consecrated to the Name of Jesus which was built at the beginning of the 17th century. The work by Millán Espinosa is conceived in the purest eclecticstyle, largely inspired by the “Igesia del Buen Suceso” in Madrid, designed by the architect Agustín Ortíz de Villajos. The façade, of a geometric Byzantine-style, has a belfry-tower above the central axis of the façade.

iglesia_nino_yecla1

Santa Bárbara chapel
A small hermitage made up with walls of adobe which was built in 1609. It was located outside the walls of the town, in the suburbs (the so-called “rabal”).

iglesia_sta_barbara_yecla1

San Juan parish church
The chapel was built in the first third of the 18th century. Subsequently, it underwent numerous modifications which substantially altered its original plan.

iglesia_san_juan_yecla1


San Roque church
It’s the oldest temple in Yecla, which was built during the middle of the 14th century, after a plague finished in thanksgiving to the patron saint of the church. Inside it we can find a magnificent wooden coffering with two Mudejar eaves dating from the beginning of the 16th century.

iglesia_san_roque_yecla4

San Francisco church
It was built between 1582 and 1612 according to the Franciscan style of the time. The main Baroque façade was built in the 18th century. It is highlighted by a big belfry.

iglesia_san_francisco_yecla1

The Angustias chapel
It’s a chapel attached to the Franciscan monastery. Built in honour of the Venerable Third Order between 1736 and 1748, it was incorporated to the sculptural group Castell Pérez by Francisco Salzillo (at present it can be found in the Basilica of la Purísima). In 1769 Jose González made the niche with a rococo altarpiece. In 1770 several ceramic altarpieces brought from Alcora (Valencia) were placed inside the church.

capilla_virgen_angustias_yecla1

Church-convent of Concepcionist nuns
It was built between 1872 and 1875 on the initiative of the priest and bishop Don Antonio Ibáñez y Galiano and according to the Valencian architect José Zacarias Camañas y Barcet. Both buildings are characterised by its simplicity in construction, made with bricks and masonry. This is a Neo-gothic temple.

iglesia_monjas_yecla3

Los Desamparados Church and Nursing home
It is a work by the architect José Camañana y Laymon. Its construction dates from 1892. The building, which is in Neo-Byzantine style, has a single nave divided into five bays. The canopy (“baldoquino”) -niche or main altarpiece belongs to the “Iglesia Nueva” (New Church) or the Basilica of la Purísima Concepción and it is eclectic in style. It dates from 1884.

iglesia_asilo_yecla1